Thursday, November 17, 2005

Kankokujin (韓国人) II

So, last night we (Jin-fun-san, Uni-san, Kensei-san, Lisa, and myself) went back to the pork place called Don-chan (どんちゃん) in Shin-Okubo (新大久保). It was a lot of fun and basically the same meal as last week, but I got a lot more pictures this time. Lots of fun conversation ensued, especially when Uni-san asked me if I knew any other languages and when I replied that I used to be somewhat fluent at Spanish, she asked how to say, "I love you." (This part is for Dad.)

So I replied, "Te quiero." So she went on to say, "Kensei-san, te quiero. Lisa-san, te quiero. Joe-san, te quiero. Koibito (恋人, Japanese for "my lover" or "person I am dating"), te quiero. Jin-fun-san, te quiero... ...nai!" (-nai is the usual way to negate things in Japanese). Hilarity ensued. It was probably one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time.

So while we were there, I had two ringo-sawas (りんごさーわ) which are basically like malt beverages with apple taste and alcohol. They were actually quite good with the pork that we had, so all was well. Everything was lots of fun, and we got to see Jin-fun-san do his famous cooking again. Pictures will follow in time, I promise. I took quite a few this time.

Oh, by the way, I know it's not Chianti, but I highly recommend the new 2005 Beaujolais Noveau. We bought a bottle when I came home the other night, and, though I'm not sure if it's superior to the 2003 Beaujolais Noveau, but it is clearly superior to the 2004 in every way. Since it just came out, well, barely two days ago, I'm sure you all will have ample opportunities to check it out.

5 Comments:

Blogger Me said...

This is a check to be sure the comments work. No one has used them yet.

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Joe
I like Korean food! Just thinking about it makes me hungry...

It's good that you manage to eat something in Japan. I was wondering how you were going to survive(food wise anyway. But its important!).

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know who I am. Sorry my letter has not made it there, a LOT has happened since last we talked. I miss talking to you and look forward to doing so again.I LOVE..hearing all about your adventures, and look forward to the accompanying pictures. ~K

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, sounds like your having lots of fun... yum pork! ~^_^~ Happy Thanksgiving btw.

2:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The link you left me in the comments section over by me was not cooperating, so I've been wondering where you were blogging at until I noticed an incoming link in my control panel from you ;p It seems you too are conspiring against me working on my papers!!!!

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home