Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Yin and Yang

OK. We have one element and it is earth. And fire. We have *two* elements and they are earth and fire. And water. We have *three* elements and we call them earth, fire, and water. And wood. OK! Among the elements we have are these: earth, fire, water, and wood. And metal! Nobody expects a Spanish onmyoji reference! (Sorry - I couldn't resist!)

So yeah, this time I'll talk a bit about yin and yang and how I've noticed that they seem to function here. Everyone knows that though yin and yang are opposites, they are both also the same Tao, and there is a little yin in every yang and a little yang in every yin. Yin and yang are also constantly moving and fluctuating every split-second of every minute of every day. However, regardless of how they tend to move, there is always a harmony that exists between the two.

This harmony I can see much better here than in New York. For example, Tokyo is often compared to New York City. I should know, I used to do it myself. Anyway, it is said that Tokyo is like New York City, except more dense and filled with Japanese people instead. To some extent, this is true. However, Tokyo has several things that New York City doesn't.The biggest example I've found is the harmony between nature and civilization. If you take New York City for example, the average house or apartment has a small lawn in front, usually with a tree or two on it and that's basically it. In Tokyo, I find that there is far more nature. Even in Shinjuku, there are bushes and trees and vines and plants of all kinds just creeping out from every corner that they can. I'll post pictures sometime to show you what I mean if I remember. It's just nice to see though as I walk to school. It's not just that there is more greenery either. It's that it looks normal but at the same time wonderful. The average New York lawn I referred to earlier looks normal but also unnatural. This greenery looks like it lives there just as humans live in their homes.

Also, in the middle of a main street in Shinjuku, there are many tall buildings, and between two of them lies a temple. It's about as close to them as it can possibly be, but at the same time, it isn't cheapened by the fact that the buildings are right there. The temple still maintains it's air of mystery and tranquility, again with plants and greenery everywhere amidst the numerous statues that also surround it.

It's very strange, but at the same time cool that this city, though one of the most technologically advanced cities in the world maintains this balance. Mind you, this balance does not exist everywhere. I'm certain there are parts of Tokyo that look just like downtown New York City, but not having witnessed that, it can't possibly be part of my observation can it?