Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Anime

(So, I know most of the people who read this aren't going to really know what I'm referring to, but most of my friends should get a kick out of this.)

So, out of all of you reading this, I have a question to ask. Have any of you ever been in an anime (アニメ)? I somehow doubt it. However, recently, I was much closer to being in an anime than anyone I know of. For those of you who watch Azumanga Daioh (アズマンガ大王), you will probably recall the Undokai/School Sports Day (運動会) episode. In that episode, the gang has to do all kinds of things, from a tug-of-war to all sorts of relay races, including one with a scavenger hunt (where Osaka finds the glasses and puts them on) and one where you have to throw a ball into a very high hoop (Chiyo-chan) before proceeding.

So, we actually had Undokai at my school earlier this month. It was exactly the same. Like exactly. We did all the same events (I did the tug-of-war) and everything. We even did the crazy Japanese dances afterward, like they do in the anime. It was insane. Luckily, there was no Kimura-sensei to dance with.

The scariest thing about the entire Undokai experience though was the music. First, they played the song from the Undokai episode of the anime on loop for a short while. That was scary. Then, it was even scarier when they switched to one of the Dragonball themes: a techno remix of Cha-La-Head-Cha-La. Yeah. Scary. Then, once they decided that it had been on loop enough, the third (and final) song to be played on loop was, of all things, Numa Numa. Yes. The Numa Numa dance. I was singing along and all of the Chinese and Koreans around me were all thinking, "How does he know this song? It's not in English or Japanese..." (Yes, I believe it's in Romanian...).

So yeah. Undokai is scary. We apparently may have another one in Spring, or so I am told. I did take Undokai pictures, but uploading pictures takes an extremely long time, hence the lack of updates. Also, while I'm talking about updates, for those who haven't read my past posts, I fixed it so that you can comment. Please feel free to do so.

As a final note for scariness, one of my teachers (Konno-sensei), resembles Yukari-sensei not in looks or driving techniques, but in her attitude and her supposed (ie: not yet confirmed by me) love for osake / alcohol (お酒). As much as I hate to admit this, there was one time I forgot to do an assignment and she gave me a Yukari-sensei 「ヘエエエエエエエエー」 (which is basically the equivalent of "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!" ), and in Yukari-sensei's voice too. Yeah. Scary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home